Friday, February 14, 2014

Introductions

I am starting this blog so I can share parts of my world here in Oakland with people from my life in Cairo and also to bring myself more fully to this new place which is now my home.

I like Facebook but I want a quieter, more formal place to meet, so to speak. Like a public library. It's harder to build and maintain community through a blog than through Facebook, but the relationships I gained through blogging back in the day meant and still mean a lot to me. Also in blogging, because I am addressing strangers, I am less aloof and more mindful maybe of what and how I write, and I am drawn to that.

I used to blog at Gayyash.blogspot.com and it took me some thinking to decide to leave it dormant and instead start this new blog for this new place, this new chapter in my life. Leaving Gayyash feels like a sort of spring cleaning. I write now from this new location, addressing still the people already in my life but also those with whom I share my new home.

And so it is, and like last time,

..نقرا الفاتحة



No comments:

Post a Comment